Thursday, April 2, 2009

CE #?

OKAY, so finally I am updating my blog...at the last minute. One editorial that intrigued me was one on racial gerrymandering. With all the restrictions preventing gerrymandering, I thought it would be over and done with. However, there have been reports of racial gerrymandering in the state of North Carolina, where one district was created around predominantly black neighborhoods which would influence the Democratic vote. I am a little confused to how this district even passed the restrictions, like connecting the borders and such. As recent as 1990 and beyond, there is still the argument over whether the gerrymandering should be allowed or not. In my opinion, I think it should totally be eliminated, because although it might not have to deal with racial tensions, it is just another way of isolation, which I think is unfair to voters who want to make a difference in their community than rather have the same administrations over and over again. I was very surprised with the information of gerrymandering, especially racial gerrymandering still in existence.

No comments: