Thursday, September 18, 2008

WEEK #1 ELECTION POST

The days are counting down as November 4th, otherwise known as Election Day, is approaching. As everyone waits in anticipation, the issues and controversies between presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama are heating up, especially with the introduction of Sarah Palin of Alaska as McCain's running mate. So like most citizens in America I have my own opinion on what I believe in and the issues that I care most about.


First of all, prior to this Presidential Election I was not much of a political person. I was always influenced by my surroundings, like my family and my lack of knowledge hindered my chance at becoming "politically active." However, in the recent months all I have heard about is the 2008 Election and I thought that maybe this was something that I should be in tune with, especially since in the near future I am destined to be out in the politically driven world. Although I still side with my family on certain views, I now understand what these issues are all about and how they will effect the nation. So I have refined my own ideology and standards as if I were going to be a voter in the upcoming election.


Now, if I were to not vote for myself, which is iffy, I would definitely vote for Barack Obama. One reason is that my family and I have always followed a more liberal and democratic appeal in past elections and presently I feel that Obama, although "inexperienced", could do a great job as President. He communicates well with Americans and that is a positive point to me because I feel a connection with the government and my part rather than just listening and trying to understand. His personality really brightens up the image of politics for me and whenever I see him talk I always have a feeling of empowerment, that I can succeed if this man, the first African American to accept the candidacy for President, can stand up in front of thousands and show his true colors.


In terms of issues I stand pretty liberal on the social issues. For example, a woman should have the choice to go through with an abortion, same sex marriages should be allowed, and the gun laws should be under more control...because guns are scary. Now, although Obama wants to only legalize "civil unions" he is making the effort of change and believes that although in a civil union, gays, lesbians, etc. should have the same rights as those who are married as man and woman. McCain believes traditionally that marriage is between man and woman, but interestingly thinks it is up to the states on this issue. I can understand McCain's viewpoint and that he'd rather have people locally choose opposed to him changing the law and possibly making the wrong decision.


Another issue that is super important is the Economic status. For this one, I am for Obama all the way. He has a plan to help those in need, for example he will give a $250 tax cut to families with workers and also extensions of unemployment insurance. McCain wants to cut down the corporate tax by 10%, but for the sake of technology, not the people. I would rather want a president who will commit to the citizens of America first than its technology. Just saying...that I can trust a man with a well thought out and organized plan...but I'm just saying.


So as the weeks go on I will elaborate on more of my political standing and my progress of becoming president. Don't forget to participate in the poll on the right and while you're at it, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip or beat your highest score in Breakout! Until the next time!

Your Fellow American,
Chanel

5 comments:

SinginMolly09 said...

Your blog really helped me like Obama more. I just still can't decide which one I would like to be president. I totally agree with you about the tax cuts. Taxes can be so binding and stressful that cuts should be made and they should be made for the citizens in their benefit. In regards to gay-marriage, I think McCain is right to leave it to the states to decide. There have been federal attempts before to ban it but all have failed so maybe the states should just have that decision. November 4th is going to be an interesting day. I think the upcoming debates are really the big chance before that day to sway more voters. It will be interesting to see...

Carrie Kurtz said...

Nice post Chanel! I'm still sitting on the fence not sure who I'm for, but you had really good points for me to further consider about Obama. Thanks for the insight! Ofcourse, if you run it will be a given. GO CHANEL! :)

caitlin c. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
caitlin c. said...

Yeah Channel! (spelling purposely wrong) I definately think that Barack Obama would be able to better connect with the people of America. I heard that a couple months ago John McCain did not even know how to use the internet. Might be a rumor but, really? For our next president? I support his social stance but don't think that he is ready to be the president of a country that is so technologically focused.

jhagstrom said...

Yo Chanel! I gotta say that I like your post. You make some good points about both of the Presidential candidates. But I am with you, Obama all the way! Like you said, his economic policy makes sense. I just don't see how McCain could help us out as well as Obama can. But if I had a choice between Obama and you, that would be a much hard decision. :)